College policy states that full-time students must take the Placement Test before registering for their first semester. Part-time students must take this test before registering for a Math or English course or before attempting their 12th credit.
Students needing developmental English must enroll in the course immediately. Students needing developmental mathematics must enroll in the course before completing 15 credits. The passing grade for a developmental course is “C”. New full-time students needing ENGL 091 are limited to a maximum of 14 credits.
The required courses are:
- ENGL 091 Reading and Writing I (4 cr.)
- STSC 150 Student Success Seminar (3 cr.)
- Developmental Math (if needed)
- Courses identified on a limited load course list (if needed for the 12-13 credit maximum)
Part-time students who need Reading and Writing I (ENGL 091) and who wish to take additional courses will be restricted to a limited load and must select from the limited load course list.
Students enrolled in developmental courses may need to attend Ocean County College for one or more additional semesters in order to satisfy specific program degree requirements. The college will not award a diploma to any student who has not demonstrated competency in the developmental skills.
The developmental courses offered by the college are:
|ENGL 091||Reading and Writing I||4|
|ENGL 095||Reading and Writing II||4|
|ENGL 098||Writing Skills Development||1|
|MATH 011||Introduction to Algebra I||3|
|MATH 012||Introduction to Algebra II||3|
|MATH 023||Algebra Basics||4|
The minimum passing grade for a developmental course is “C”.
Developmental courses cannot be used to satisfy degree requirements but are prerequisites to advanced courses.
Developmental Probation, Restriction and Suspension
- Developmental Probation - Math
Students failing to attain a minimum grade of “C” in the mathematics developmental courses will be placed on remedial probation.
- Full-Time students are limited to 12 semester hours and must re-enroll immediately in the developmental course.
- Part-Time students must include the developmental course as part of their course load in the next semester in which they enroll.
- Developmental Restriction - English
Students failing to attain a minimum grade of “C” in English developmental courses will be placed on developmental restriction. (Developmental restriction takes priority over Developmental Probation).
- Students placed on developmental restriction are limited to a maximum credit load of 12-13 credits, which must include the needed developmental course. The remainder of courses must be selected from the limited load list.
- Students placed on developmental restriction who fail to pass the developmental course on the second attempt, are limited to 6-7 credits, which must include the developmental course.
- Students placed on developmental restriction who fail to pass the developmental course after having been limited to 6-7 credits on their third attempt, can only register for that developmental course.